PhD positions in Population Genetics
The Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics offers PhD positions.
04.02.2022 – 21.04.2022
Over the past years, Vienna has developed into one of the leading centres of population genetics. The Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics has been founded to provide a training opportunity for PhD students to build on this excellent on-site expertise.
They invite applications from highly motivated and outstanding students with a love for evolutionary research and a background in one of the following disciplines: evolutionary genetics, functional genetics, theoretical or experimental population genetics, bioinformatics, mathematics, statistics.
- Did selfish DNA from Neanderthals infect our human genomes?
- Evolution from de novo mutations - influence of elevated mutation rates
- Evolution of sex-specific neuronal signaling
- Impact of para-mutations on the invasion dynamics of TEs
- Inference of selection signatures from time-series data
- Invasion dynamics of different TEs
- Leveraging long-read sequencing for population genetics of TEs
- Long-term dynamics of local Drosophila populations
- Studying the evolution of gene expression with single cell RNA-Seq
- Studying speciation during experimental evolution
- Temperature adaptation in Drosophila: phenotypic adaptation
Only complete applications (application form, CV, motivation letter, university certificates, indication of the two preferred topics in a single pdf) received by April 21, 2022 will be considered. Two letters of recommendation need to be sent directly by the referees.
PhD students will receive a monthly salary based on currently €2.237,60 before tax according to the regulations of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
All information about the about available topics, the training program and the application procedure can be found at www.popgen-vienna.at